Torres del Paine is without a doubt one of the most beautiful places in Chile, it is a place of many myths and legends. From its indigenous past to modern day explorers, it is still a place on earth that is an untamed wilderness.
Torres del Paine was declared a National park in 1959 and achieved greater importance in 1978 when UNESCO declared the park as one of the worlds unique ecosystems which need to be protected from the impacts of Man. The Park is famous for its “Torres” (Towers) of granite which jut out of the earth with vertical cliffs. The whole park is a paradise for anybody who loves to trek, hike, mountain climb or photograph beautiful scenery. There are numerous treks available but the most famous two are the “W” and the “O” circuits which take you close to the Torres as well as the “Cuernos” (Horns) del Paine. The “W” takes between 3-5 days to complete and the “O” is a two week circuit.
Throughout the park you will pass spectacular scenery including mountains, lakes and glacier Gray. These days there are basic services such as “refuges” in the park but this does not stop Torres del Paine from leaving even the most hardened explorers simply awestruck.
You will work supporting a local NGO inside Torres del Paine park.
- The reparation and clearing of existing trails and bridges.
- Carving traditional wooden signs to mark trails inside the park.
- Participating in educational camps and activities with college students.
- Participating in the production of newsletters distributed promoting the leave no trace policy of the park.
- Teaching Basic English to local people.
- Short program: 16 days, without free days. Work schedule: 9 am till 5 pm.
- Long program: 38 days, including 3 days of free time after every 10 days of working. Work schedule: 9 am till 5 pm. In your free time you have the chance to explore the surroundings, trek and explore the surrounding cities.
- Language Abilities: No specific language requirements.
- Age: Over 18 years old.
- Mentality: Open minded. Autonomous. Ability to work in a changeable climate. Interest in the natural environment.
- Safety: Reasonable level of fitness.
- Communication: Cell phone with local SIM card required. (No cell phone coverage inside park).
- Previous phone interview required: No.
- Recommended Equipment: Patagonia is an environment of extreme weather conditions often described as having four seasons in one day. Although it is possible to hire equipment in Punta Arenas/ Puerto Natales the list below is a recommendation to bring: good quality extreme weather tent, sleeping bag extreme weather, sleeping mat, water and weather proof clothing, first aid kit inc emergency blanket, compass/ Swiss army knife, waterproof hiking boots, camping stove, saucepans, plates and relative accessories. sun block / hat/ glasses etc and warm weather clothing.
- Time of year: October – May (The climate in Patagonian Chile is very changeable throughout the year).
- Project support: There will be VH representative assigned to each volunteer who will be in touch via telephone and email during the duration of the volunteer period.
- Accommodation: Camping inside Torres Del Paine park.Free time: Explore the incredible surroundings. Trek through the park, Visit surrounding towns.
- Meals: Breakfast 7-am to 9am, lunch 1pm, afternoon snack 5pm and evening meal 7pm – 8pm.
This post is also available in: Spanish