Location: San Pedro de Atacama
Local people in San Pedro have a big opportunity to enter the workforce and develop themselves working in tourism in San Pedro, however the local children have very little knowledge of English, nor contact with foreigners meaning they do not have the skills required to enter the workforce and the majority of local businesses are run with workers coming in from other areas. Help the local children lose their inhibitions with foreigners by helping them practice their English and teaching them about your life, interests and hobbies. In your free time you can explore the surroundings of the Atacama Desert such as lagoons, volcanoes and geysers. Learn about indigenous cultures by visiting local museums, ghost towns, ancient archaeological sites and petroglyphs.
- Support local English teachers by helping to teach English in the classroom with the local children.
- Give conversation classes.
- Organise or participate in extracurricular activities with the underprivileged children.
- Share with them cultural and experiential learning.
- Language Abilities: English and Spanish speaker (intermediate to advanced level for both).
- Age: Over 18 years old.
- Mentality: Open minded. Autonomous. Ability to work without supervision. Willingness to work and live in this remote location with basic facilities and little communication.
- A police background check will be required from the applicant’s country, to secure the applicants eligibility to work with children
- Safety: Reasonable level of fitness required (high altitudes).
- Time of year: All year round. (Generally classes go from March to December – Teaching at summer school and/or summer courses may be possible checking well in advance).
This post is also available in: Spanish