Pichilemu is a popular beach and surf resort situated on Chile’s central coast about 3.5 hours by bus from Santiago. The picturesque town is nestled between wooded hills and sandy beaches. The town is quiet most of the year and enjoys a laid back vibe, but in summer attracts large numbers of vistors from Chile and abroad who come to enjoy the beaches and watersports. Just outside Pichilemu is Punta de Lobos, a world renowned surf destination often featured in international surf magazines and which attracts surfers from all over the world.
English Teaching & Surf
This program gives you the opportunity to combine volunteering with surfing. The majority of families in Pichilemu earn a living through the tourist industry but do not speak English. Learning basic English is a vital skill required to help them develop business opportunities and to enable them to communicate with foreign visitors to the town. The afternoons will be spent in surf lessons at the “infiernillo” beach in Pichilemu. Surf lessons can be tailored to suit experience levels, and for more advanced surfers there is the option to go to “Punta de Lobos”, a few kilometres outside of town.
- Supporting the local English teachers.
- Taking conversation classes with school children and local people in the town.
- Language Abilities: English speaker (advanced) – Spanish speaker (beginner – intermediate)
- Age: Over 18 years old.
- Mentality: Open minded, autonomous, patient and the ability to work with children.
- Safety: Reasonable level of fitness. An assessment of your surfing capability including, knowledge of surfing, prior experience and swimming capability will be done.
- Time of year: All year round. (Generally classes go from March to December – Teaching or other voluntary work out of this period may be possible, subject to confirmation).
- Project support: There will be VH representative assigned to each volunteer and a person to accompany the volunteer to site on the first day of the project, and who will be in touch via telephone and email during the duration of the volunteer period.
- Accommodation: Basic accommodation either in homestays or a local hostel.
- Free time: You will have free time daily.
- Surfing equipment: You will be provided with all the necessary equipment including your surf board. Water temperature is reasonably cold as Pichilemu is located on the Pacific Ocean therefore a suitable wetsuit will be provided.
This post is also available in: Spanish