- Duration: Minimum 5 months
- Hours: Monday – Friday 09.00 – 18.00* (*some out of hours work may be required for group trips)
- Location: Santiago, Chile
- Job purpose: Assist with all areas of the company in line with the organization’s mission.
Voluntary Horizons is a small volunteer tour operator, formed with support from CORFO (part of the Chilean government). We focus on the organization of volunteer programs from groups of foreign students, and combine these with cultural interaction and some tourism activities.
We have a strong responsible tourism policy and a strong focus on social development as well as environmental conservation through the projects we run. We currently operate in Chile, Brazil, Nicaragua and Bolivia.
We are currently seeking an enthusiastic intern to join our team in the office.
We look for the following qualities in our interns:
- Highly organized.
- Detail oriented.
- Proactive Individual.
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills and a positive attitude.
- Punctual and responsible.
- Open minded and keen to learn.
- Experience in tourism / working in an NGO / or other service related role.
- Knowledge & interest in tourism, social development and/or the environment.
- Bilingual: English-Spanish.
- Competent user of Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook.
Roles & Responsibilities
We pride ourselves on getting our interns really involved. Although some tasks will be more junior at the beginning as you are learning about the organization you will be given the opportunity to really get involved in company activities, taking responsibilities and being able to have an impact on the company through your work. This is a great way to improve your CV and gather valuable work experience which will stand you in a good position in the job market later.
You will have the opportunity to work on tasks such as the following:
- Welcome, receive, orientate and support individual volunteers whilst in Chile.
- General support to tour groups as and when needed.
- Social Media Campaign: Updating social media sites, registering in new sites.
- Creating a database of videos & photography. Creation of a newsletter.
- Contact with interested volunteers.
- Collecting prices from suppliers.
- Quote preparation.
- Sales contact with potential partners / clients.
- Assisting with program organization, reservations and logistics.
- General administration, running errands, filling, etc.
- Client file management and analysis of accounts.
- Preparation of tour and client documentation.
- We request that are interns complete a minimum duration of 5 months as unlike most companies in Latin America, at Voluntary Horizons we integrate our interns into the company as a fully integrate part of the team like any other and this means that a considerable amount of time is taken in training people.
- All Interns must have and show comprehensive travel and health insurance for the time they will do their internship.
- We generally request that our interns take 2 weeks Spanish classes before beginning their internship, unless they are already very strong in Spanish.
- We speak Spanish in the office however our staff is bilingual (English – Spanish). We request that our interns communicate with people in the office in Spanish to ensure they learn as much as possible.
- At Voluntary horizons internships are unpaid.
We try to make it possible for our interns to join a group trip if there is one running in Chile at the time to allow them to see how the trips run in practice, and to be able to gain the experience of participating as an Assistant Group Leader. This has always been viewed by interns as a perk of the internship, and as a very enjoyable experience. It is also a chance to see how the work that is done in the office is put into practice.
The intern may be invited to participate for part, or all, of the time of the trip depending on the manager´s discretion. (This is optional, and of course the intern has the right to choose to not participate in this experience if they do not wish to). Participation of course depends on a suitable trip running during the time of the internship.
There may also be the opportunity to participate in other activities out of the office on occasions such as accompanying individual volunteers to Project Sites.
We encourage our interns to plan some personal time in for travel in Chile and/or South America around their internship as it is not easy to visit all locations in weekends trips due to distances being so large.
Please send a CV/resume and a covering letter to email@example.com explaining:
- Why you are interested in the role and
- What you feel you can bring to us at Voluntary Horizons
- Dates you would be available for the intern, including duration.
We look forward to hearing from you!
This post is also available in: Spanish