Molina is a small municipally located in the Maule valley, an area well known for the quality wines produced and the nearby National Park Siete Tazas. The main city in the region is Curicó, 15 km away from Molina and 2.5 hours from Santiago city.
Molina has around 35000 inhabitants and is surrounded by beautiful green hills and many vineyards while the Andes Mountain Range lies only a few minutes towards the east where there are many possibilities for outdoor activities. The town is small but has all the necessary facilities including a theatre. The area is mostly rural and is also surrounded by several rural sectors. The main produce of the region are fruits, with produce like pears, raspberries, apples and kiwis, and of course, wines.
Teaching English in a rural area
Education in Chile is divided into preschool, primary school, secondary school, and technical or higher education(university). Primary school, (Enseñanza básica) for children from 5-13 years old, is divided into 8 grades. There are 7 rural schools in Molina that are in need of native English speaking teachers in order to help local teachers. Through the local education department, volunteers will be assigned to different schools.
- Support local teachers, especially in pronunciation.
- Teach basic English to primary school kids.
- Share with them cultural and experiential learning.
- Language Abilities: English speaker (intermediate to advanced) – Spanish speaker (intermediate)
- Age: Over 18 years old.
- Mentality: Open minded, autonomous and the bility to work with children.
- Safety: Preferable experience living in a city.
- Time of year: All year round. (Generally classes go from March to December – Teaching at summer school and/or summer courses may be possible checking well in advance).
- Project support: there will be a VH representative assigned to each volunteer who will be in touch via phone and email during the duration of the volunteer period
- Orientation meeting about project.
- Accommodation: homestay or hostal.
- Free time: Opportunity to get to know the Maule valley region, including vineyards and the National park Radal 7 Tazas.